Your spark plugs are a very important part of your Honda Civic’s engine. They ignite the fuel/air mixture in your cylinders to move the pistons and make power. They need to be replaced from time to time, especially on older vehicles. However, if you are like many car owner’s you don’t know which the right type is. Below is a little information to help you purchase the right spark plugs for your Honda Civic.
Types of Spark Plugs
There are five major types of spark plugs: copper, platinum, double platinum, iridium and double iridium. As you may have guessed, the major differentiating factor is what the spark plug is made from. Each material has unique characteristics:
- Copper: These plugs feature a solid copper core paired with a nickel allow electrode. These plugs have a relatively short life because nickel is fairly soft. However, they are ideal for low-voltage systems in older vehicles. Some high-performance cars also call for copper plugs due to the metal’s conductivity.
- Platinum: This type of plus uses platinum in the electrode. This makes it last significantly longer than a copper spark plug and helps it retain its edge better. Platinum spark plugs are more electrically resistant, meaning they will run hotter and prevent fouling or build-up of deposits. This type of best for new cars with electronic distributor-based ignitions.
- Double Platinum: This type features two discs instead of one. The double discs allow for a backward-jumping side-to-center spark. Double platinum spark plugs also last longer. Do not use a single platinum plug on an engine that calls for double platinum.
- Iridium: This is even harder than platinum and lasts about 25% longer. These are more expensive but have the added benefits of being more efficient. If your owner’s manual calls for these, it is a good idea to use them.
- Double Iridium: Like double platinum, these feature two discs and offer many of the same benefits. They are ideal for extreme conditions and have a very long service life. Again, use double iridium if instructed by the owner’s manual.
Finding the Right Type for Your Honda Civic
Different model years of Civics and different engines call for specific spark plugs. Consult your owner’s manual to learn which is right for you. Another great buying method is to use a free VIN lookup tool at your favorite auto parts store. This will help you find the right parts for your vehicle.
Most modern Honda Civics call for either iridium or platinum spark plugs. Do not confuse double and single platinum or iridium plugs. Typically, Honda Civics do not call for double plugs. Older models may call for copper plugs.
Find the Right Parts
If you are shopping for spark plugs, make sure to consult your owner’s manual. It will provide you with the specifications that your engine needs. Overall, spark plugs are very consistent other than the materials used, especially for cars like the Honda Civic. Some spark plugs are a little better made than others, but all should work if they are the right type. Get started changing your spark plugs today.