Are you planning to get a marriage green card? Have you and your spouse decided to live in the U.S? If yes, then read this article until the end. Here we will discuss all helpful information regarding marriage green card and determine what makes you eligible to get a marriage green card. So, stay tuned to us until the last line of this article.

Congratulations! If you have got married to a U.S. citizen recently. Now, if you and your spouse have planned to live in the United States permanently, the first thing you will need is a marriage green card. Let’s find out what a marriage green card is and how you can get it.

What is A Marriage Green Card?

A marriage green card is for a non-U.S. citizen, married to a U.S. citizen or a green cardholder. This card is a permit for a U.S. citizen’s spouse and allows him/her to work and live in the United States. Once a non-US citizen marries a U.S. citizen, he/she becomes eligible to apply for a marriage green card. The person possessing a green card will have a “permanent resident” status in the United States.

In addition to that, a marriage green card also makes the person eligible for U.S. citizenship after three years of possession.

What Makes You Eligible to Apply for a Marriage Green Card?

To apply for a marriage green card in the United States, you must possess a legal marriage certificate or a license to meet the legal requirement. The marriage license certificate can be obtained from the City Hall or the county clerk’s office. The application processing fee for a legal marriage certificate is around $100.

Application Process

There are four different parts of applying for a marriage green card. The processing depends on the applicants’ resident city, either your spouse is a U.S. citizen or a green card holder, and a few other conditions.

There can be four different conditions for the applicants who wish to get a marriage green card. These conditions are:

The Applicant

  • Living in the U.S. and is married to a U.S. Citizen
  • Living in the U.S. and is married to a U.S. Green Card Holder
  • Living abroad and is married to a U.S. Green card holder
  • Living abroad and is married to a U.S. citizen

Before applying for a marriage green card, ensure that all your legal marriage documents are complete as they will be needed for further processes.

Also, you will file an I-130 and I-485 form. This form is an adjustment status document to the USCIS. Finally, you will have to attend a green card interview and wait for USCIS’s response to your application.

Documents Required

Following is a list of documents required to apply for the marriage green card

1.   Sponsor Eligibility Proof

Following documents will be needed in the case of U.S. Citizenship.

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • S. birth certificate
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Following documents will be needed in case of Permanent Resident Citizenship.

  • Green card
  • Passport issued in another country

2.   Marriage Documents

Following is a list of marriage documents that will be needed

  • Marriage certificate
  • Joint leases
  • Photos of you and your spouse
  • Joint bank account statements
  • Letters from your close friends or relatives proving that you both married

3.   Proof of Divorce of Previous Marriage (If Applicable)

In case your spouse is a divorcee, the following additional documents might be needed.

  • A divorce decree
  • Death certificate of the other spouse
  • Certificate of annulment

4.   Proof of Name Change (If Applicable)

You will have to provide any of the following documents as proof of a name change

  • Marriage certificate
  • Adoption papers
  • Court order of name change

5.   Petitioner’s Passport Sized Photos

All sponsors must provide two passport-sized photos (2″x 2″) with the I-130 form.

Marriage Green Card Fee Structure

The amount for a marriage card varies and depends on where the applicant is residing currently. Generally, the fee is $1760 for applicants living in the U.S. In contrast, the price for the applicants applying from outside the U.S. is $1200.